Little Snoring Village Profile

Little Snoring is a relatively large village (population 619 in 2011), covering 731 hectares of rural North Norfolk, three miles from the nearest market town of Fakenham. It has been designated as a Service Village in the Local Development Framework, and has public transport links to the market towns of Fakenham and Holt and on to the coast. In the village there are a primary school, pre-school, church, a small convenience store with Post Office and campsite. In addition, there are a public house, a number of B&Bs and self-catering accommodation. Just up the road is the famous pilgrim destination of Little Walsingham  and the Light Railway . Eight miles further north are the coastal town and beaches of Wells-next-the-Sea and Holkham . Two miles to the south is Pensthorpe Nature Park including WildRootz and Hootz House .

Nature is right on the doorstep here. Barn owls swoop over grassland, hares gallop across fields, and the skies are filled with lark song in the summer and honking geese in the autumn.

Little Snoring Primary School  is situated in the centre of the village, which is made up of two main clusters of housing of mixed ages and character. Across the farmland to the north is a Second World War airfield, part of which is still used by general aviation aircraft and a flying group. There is also small-scale industrial use in the form of potato storage units and a Light Aircraft Company.

Little Snoring has an active Parish Council, which supports the village playing field in providing open space and playground facilities for the children of the village. The Pre-School, located on the playing field, provides excellent childcare for the under-fives in and around the village.

St Andrew’s Church, built on rising ground and separated from the village by a small stream, is something of a riddle. The unresolved problem is why a church was begun here in Saxon times and then left half-finished so that its successor is in its beginnings Early Norman. The distinctive round tower of the old church acts as the detached tower of the new church. The windows and doorways reflect a range of different architectural periods from c. 1100 to 1580.

St Andrew’s Church is supported by a dedicated group which holds regular fund raising events. Follow this link to view photos from a Flower Festival which both the pre-school and primary school displayed work.